An “Accelerated Physics” Course — Combining AP Physics 1 and NGSS
In the spring of 2021, the high school administration at the Singapore American School gave a directive to create an Accelerated Physics course. During the 2021–2022 school year, I (along with input from colleagues) created the Accelerated Physics course — leading to this course document.
Here is the Table of Contents for the document:
- Section 1: Course Development Directions and Program Planning Guide Information
- Section 2: Standards and Competencies Addressed in the Course
- Section 3: Scope and Sequence
- Section 4: Scoring System and Assessments
- Section 5: Understanding by Design Plans for Each Unit
- Section 6: Comparison of Physics and Accelerated Physics — Content within Topics
- Section 7: Models for Topics in the Course
Although this document has a detailed plan for the course, the course will be taught for the first time in the 2022–2023 school year. Like any good plan, the plan will change — leading to changes to the course document. If you would like to use the plan or other information in the document, please let me know. The copyright to the document belongs to the Singapore American School, so the information needs to be properly attributed and used.
I would like to give a huge thanks to the high school Physics teaching team, my Science department chair, and the leader of the development process — each person challenged my perspectives (in a great way!) and pushed my thinking, leading to the creation of this course. I am very excited to see how students interact with the course!
If you have questions or comments, please use contactnathanbelcher [at] gmail to reach me. Thanks!